Wednesday, August 22, 2007

2008 Scion xD

I have been waiting for this car to drop for some time. I am greatly disappointed. What I expected to be a major upgrade to the mouse-like xA turned out to be a price hike. Lets start off with what Toyota did right.

The car's engine is a major improvement. The xD, especially the stick, feels really quick with the 1.8L and the handling seems pretty sticky. You can even chirp the tires! The mileage is quite a dissapointment at 26/32(that's the new 08 EPA standards mind you, the Honda Accord got 22/31 though.)

On the other hand the steering is a bit too "sporty" for a car that catches the wind as much as the xD. On the freeway you'll find yourself correcting a lot especially if its a windy day.

In this new ultracompact segment size really matters. I'm 6' 1" and have big feet. There are few cars in this size that I like. The xD actually does a decent job. My size 14 shoes were haveing no trouble with the clutch-- a place where I freqently get my shoe stuck get myself and my passengers really irritatated from the jerky shifts(the Corolla is unbearable in this regard, and even the Subaru WRX has this problem). The back seat isn't quite as generous. If I sit comfortably in the front seat I cannot switch to the back seat and sit without my knees well into the chair infront of me. This isn't the case for the Nissan Versa(review coming soon), or the Honda fit(very impressive for such a small car).

The styling is decent, that really isn't going to attract of put off that many people. Well, maybe it'll put off some people. It's like an English Bulldog either you love it or you hate it. I personally don't like it. It looks too short, very abrubtly ends just when you wanted more like a titillating teen movie.

BOTTOM LINE:
My name is Chad or umm Cindy and I'm the cool kid at school but I don't have a lot of money to spend and I want a cool car thats reliable and good resale value blah blah. This car doesn't do it for me-- the interior quality seems below par for the segement(especially compared to the fit, and even to the other scions). Its also 15k thats alot of cash that could get you a really nice civic or shoot you could save some money and get the Nissan Versa simmilarly equipped for ~12500 which I am really growing to love.

No comments: